March 14, 2011

Oh when the saints come marching in...




Well Its been 5 days since Raffy passed away. Its so sad cuz when I got back from class on the 10th of March, he looked like he had suffered and had a apinful death. His head was all the way out of his shell and so were all four of his flippers.

He was hard, cold and completely dried up. I was suprised actually cuz jus a few hours before i came to give him food and he kept running around and looked fine. But then again I kind of knew something was wrong cuz he wasnt eating since monday. To top all of that off, for some reason I thin he was depressed. Sadly I have no idea why.

What made me come to this conclusion, well you see in his little container there is this little bridge, a fake palm tree and this fence like thing. He kept going onto the bridge, holding the sides with his to front flippers ( like how a human does to look down a bridge) and stuck his head out to look out below. Then he would jump into the water. It was as if he was trying to commit suicide. He did this twice.

Another time, he kept trying to reach the top of the fake palm tree, but it was too high and so he stuck his head so far out that it looked like he was in pain. And then he jumped into the water again and this time landed on his back. Usually he uses his head to turn his shell back around so he is in normal position. But this time he just floated in the water, on his back! I saw that and immediately turned him around.

I have to say i fell in love with this little terrapin :) he was a bundle of joy and weirdly healed some of my wounds. It was fun playing with him and making him walk on my desk, on my hands and on the bed sometimes. Boy was he fast!

I loved it when i would fill up the sink at home, plug it so the water stays and put him there to swim...while i showered. So adorable. And he loved music...if the song changed his pace and rhythm of swimming also changed. cute much?

I miss him, and my hostel room is very quiet without him. usually he'll be swimming around of moving the rocks and making some sort of sound.

Its funny how we humans get attached to things so fast. Raphael was a great birthday present from my sister. And when I found him dead I teared, may be cuz i felt he suffered and died. Then later in the evening, Krishant helped me put him in this lake area near UM. It felt so weird to put him there and leave him.

They doctors become immune to death after a while, I wonder if that would happen to me?

I doubt that.

No comments: