March 1, 2011

An eye for an eye!



( not my eye,but tats how it looked like when it was stained.Mr.mustard told me i should not put a pic of my eye now, so people remember me as the gal with the pretty eyes..hence this pic would do. :) )


Well Saturday was supposed to be a GOOD DAY! sadly it jus wasnt!
I woke up early all ready for the netball match. After all that practice finally it was the day i got to play! hell yeah.

Then when we got there,just before the match all of us were warming up and then teaching some of the subs how to defend, and I was practicing as the GK. I already had stopped and was just stretching..when suddenly I something hit me hard and fast in my eye.I thought i had a blackout.I stood there for about 5mins and then opened my eyes.OMG it hurt so freaking much,i shut it immediately and as i moved my eyeball with my eyes closed i felt this weird poke.Hmmm this wasn't just a normal poke, i knew something was terribly wrong.Oh no pls god, don't tell me i can't play today.That was the first thought in my head.I really badly wanted to play!

When i went to the toilet, I saw this weird translucent greyish layer which was visible when i squinted and it hurt.Hmm it wasn't there before.I thought there was something in my eye, hence i kept washing it.But when i kept seeing it there.I freaked and i just started tearing,and crying.My vision also went a little blur.I never ever cry when I'm hurt,NEVER! but today for the first time ever, I did...And the tears stung my injured eye.Now that wasnt a good sign either.

One stupid team mate of mine, actually had the balls to say "I know you're going to hate me for saying this, can you please just rest for 5 mins and then play a bit and see if you can"
Oh bloody hell,i was furious.People who know me, know that i do not get angry...But this made me boil. I screamed at her saying: "Are you fucking dumb? I'm hurt, i can barely even open my eye.its not a normal poke,its something more..I know what I'm talking about." and walked off. Selfish cold people is what this world is made off. And when i was waiting there, for transport to take me to the hospital, she kept asking me how i was? Is it better. Heloo, ofcourse I'm not fine! and I wish she wasn't so fake.I mean if you don't care, don't ask..just like your other friend.I rather have it that way! Thank you to rebecca, Kc, monisha and pavi for being there and taking care of me :) love u ppl!

Once i got to UH, i realised the pain was gettin worse. Rekha was with me and I am so thankful to her for being there. After a 3hr wait i finally got my turn. The doc who checked first said that my eye looked pretty normal but i insisted tat she called the ophthalmologist cuz I felt that there is definitely something wrong. While i was waiting for him, Lynn and Leonard came and I was so happy.Debbie was there to coincidently. Rekha had to go home and i thanked her again for being there. When Dr.Kelvin came, he said that I had a corneal abrasion.

A corneal abrasion is a painful scrape,scratch of cut on the surface of the cornea which is the clear part of the eye. The cornea covers the iris and it has many nerve under the surface.hence when there is any scratch or scrape it causes alot of pain.trust me I would know! It is basically the loss of the epithelial layer of the eye's cornea. It can be caused by trauma to the surface of the eye. The common causes include jabbing of a finger into the eye( something that kinda happened to me), being hit by a projectile piece of metal, having a foreign body in the eye and rubbing the eye while its inside and also due to the hard contact lens if its worn for too long.


The doctor said that the usual symptoms of corneal abrasion is pain, photophobia(which means you can't stand light, it irritates and hurts your eyes), it feels as if there is a foreign body in your eye, and overproduction of tears.All of the above i've mentioned is all that i have. With that I also have a swollen eye lid and a swollen conjunctiva. And yes My vision is blurred due to the swelling.Did i mention, that i wait everyday til i get to see the doctor cuz she puts local anesthesia in my eye which means i feel no pain and i can open my eye normally.Sadly it only lasts for 30mins but what the heck,its my treat :) I ended up not going to UH but to an eye specialist hospital called hossein onn in PJ.


On the first day my corneal abrasion was 4mm, but now its only 1mm. Yes the eye heals freaking fast.But this 1mm is apparently deep and so i had to do this quick procedure to remove the dead epithelium from the cornea so it heals faster and properly, or else the new skin will grow on it causing more problem.The doc kept my eye open with this metal thing (forgot what its called) and more local anesthesia(yay, i know i sound like a druggie,but it takes away all the pain) used a cotton bud to rub against the abrasion and then tweezers to remove the dead skin.Yeah i could see all this, though it was a little blurry!


After she did this, It hurt like a bitch the whole day. It was as if soap entered by eye, and someone lit my eye on fire! All i did was sleep and sleep. My mom had to feed me n my jaw hurt real bad. Th patch was put on real tight.


Today the doc said my eye is much better, but still healing.So i can only go back to college on monday! hmm I m gonna ask for an extra week for the CVS end block test. Mom's going to go tomorrow. Anyways i wanna thank everyone who has been here for me and everyone hu has called, texted and talked to me to see if i am ok :) 
really appreciate it!


Well thats all for now. To be honest i've been reading alot about my injury just to see what its all about. Now i might not do cardiology but i might want to be a opthalmologist! its pretty interesting. Hmmm lets see how that goes!


Did i mention i look like a freaking pirate?


Toodles :)

No comments: